Monday, October 18, 2010

Week 3: Landscapes of My Life

Explain:  My parents moved to Alaska when I was nine years old.  I remember a thoughtful moment when I went to college in Idaho and realized that the landscape of Idaho did NOT include such exciting things as earthquakes, volcanos,  extended/reduced daylight and glaciers.  (At least not in the quantities I was used to.)  From the perspective of a child or young adult, your landscape is what you are used to.  It is what you take for granted.

Extend:  As I look at many modern and traditional Native cultures, I often think, "Wow.  How do they do that?!"  I suppose it is all what you are used to.  Your landscape is your tradition.

While watching one of the TD video clips about plate tectonics I saw a clip about the 1964 earthquake.  Below is a picture of my father-in-law standing in a crack created during the 1964 earthquake.



Evaluate:  I spent quite a bit of time getting lost in the Teachers Domain website.  I found more quantum mechanics videos and articles and also some interesting clips about bacteria ... the other topic I'm teaching this week.  The more I explore, the more impressed I am with TD.  Could someone please tell my why my school district PAYS for learn360.com when this is FREE?!?!?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    My jaw dropped seeing the picture of your father-in-law standing in the crack left by the 1964 Earthquake. Unbelievable! I just love historical images like this—I bet you have heard incredible first-hand account stories of that experience. I can’t imagine what that day was like. Thanks for taking the time to get that image uploaded. I appreciate it!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like two thoughts you shared here that landscape is your tradition and landscape is what you are used to. Both are great thoughts. After being here I feel that I maybe took my landscape in Ohio for granted. I never really explored it and saw what it had to offer. Now being in Alaska, it is impossible to explore and get out there and enjoy this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture of your father-in-law is impressive. I also grew up in an area without earthquakes (Minnesota), and to move to an area where such things can, will, and have happened is pretty crazy to me. I don't think I will ever forget the first earthquake I experienced - it came out of nowhere, in the middle of the afternoon, while I was sitting comfortably on a bed. It was not strong enough to cause any damage, but it did start my heart racing.

    -Eric
    Eric Explores Alaska

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture! I agree with you that your landscape is what you are used to. I grew up in Colorado and even though I have lived here for 15 year the landscape of my heart is the mountains of Colorado. It is what I am used to and as you said is my tradition, which is weird considering how long I have lived here. I hope though that the mountains and oceans around Juneau will be the landscape of my children's heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete