Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 2: Connections

The mystery of the electron ... and my driving record.

This year, for the first time, I am teaching high school chemistry.  We are just starting the quantum mechanics unit.   (see String Theory video on TD String Video)  The experienced chemistry teacher was lecturing to my students about the misbehaviors of the electron.  First it is a wave, then a particle, then a wave.  Sometimes they disappear and reappear elsewhere.  Powerful minds like Einstein and Stephen Hawking struggled with these seemingly unexplainable phenomena.  I never guessed that physicists and mathematicians could be the ones spouting theories of time travel and multiple universes.  I had thought of the stereotypical physicist as having logical, black and white, even inflexible or uncreative personalities.

Many Native American cultures are, and have been, comfortable telling stories that include time travel, multiple universes, etc.  They are ok with ignoring the how and why things happen in exchange for a better understanding of what is happening.  Isn't this just exactly what the chemistry teacher said about the behavior of electrons?  He said, "Don't try to understand why electrons can do this, or how it works, just accept that is does."

I find this to be an excellent example where there is a huge overlap of traditional native knowledge and western science.  Even if Native cultures are not teaching about electrons, it is their way of teaching and attitude toward knowledge that I feel is parallel.

And ... it may also explain why, all too often, when I make a right turn onto a road I look both ways, pull out onto the roadway and then discover a vehicle coming up on me fast, honking and making it clear to me that I should not have pulled out in front of them.  Golly, I swear I looked and noone was coming.  I guess that car just appeared out of nowhere, instantaneously, like an electron.

6 comments:

  1. Wow Cheryl...what a cool connection you have made with electron behavior and native culture. I love thinking about parallel universes and other dimensions in the western sense and have failed to realize that it is certainly embedded within native culture as well. How cool is that? I think it is a really neat observation you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second the above comment and thanks for the video - I think I'm going to show that in my class this week. We just got done watching the Powers of 10 video which blew their minds and then tried to repeat it by drawing out a square with 1cm dimensions then going out from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you make the elusive electron sound like the "whack-a-mole" of the physics world. I do find it fascinating that the farther we get into modern physics, the closer we get to the holistic Native view that it's all connected. Dare I ask, why "Silly monkey, stop jumping"? Anything to do with those electrons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your electron analogy of pulling out into a clear vehicle lane and suddenly someone is on your tail! I love your pictures, by the way. Lost Lake is beautiful, isn't it! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like the electron analogy! I never though of asking why things work on a scale to small to undedrstand, i just accepted that it does. I never thought about that before - we accept a lot of "science" with no more evidence than we do "faith"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure looks like your colleagues discovered what a great thinker/writer you are.

    Some lucky kids in your class.

    cg

    ReplyDelete