Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Week 5: Oceans, so big, so wide, so deep

Wow this week does cover so much ... just like the oceans, I guess.


Explain:  I got a kick out of the video clip on the Coriolis Effect.  The video wasn't overly exciting, but the comments on the YouTube site, under the video were very entertaining.  I've learned that the people who make anonymous comments online are usually the folks who shouldn't.  Who would've thought there could be so much controversy in a boring old topic like the Coriolis Effect?!?


The video about Ben Franklin and the Gulf Stream was a big chunk of my new learning this week.


Extend:  There is something for everyone this week, some biology, geology, physics, chemistry ... oceans have it all.  The lesson that I found particularly applicable for what I'm teaching right now is the video clip about specific heat with the balloon, I think I will try that at home!




I teach a unit involving lake ice, so seeing some of the info about specific heat and oceans ice reinforced the lessons we do in that unit.  If you are interested, the lake ice project is called ALISON - Alaska Lake Ice and Snow Observatory Network.  Check it out.


Seasons ... I watched the sunset/sunrise video just because it felt good.  It reminded me of a time lapse video I saw at a conference this summer.  It went through an year in Antarctica in about ten minutes showing the landscape from 24 hours of daylight to 24 hours of darkness.  Here is a YouTube video that is not the one I remember, but still interesting.  I bet students could make a video using Google Earth that shows the seasonal daylight changes in Arctic and Antarctic regions.


url.jpg

Evaluate:  Oceans are an easily overlooked, skipped, misperceived topic.  I love how this module brought so many topics to the table so I could sample them all.  Yum.   


Three of us:


Ian keeps busy writing about what he's read.  See his link to his other blog.
Is anyone interested in a field trip to Maui?  Dave and I are!
Bobbi used GoogleEarth to measure her island, Kodiak Island.

4 comments:

  1. I also was impressed with the balloon activity. I think I might try that at school just to show the importance of water in keeping earth's temperatures stable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including the link for ALISON. That was new and interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post and link to the lake ice study. I am amazed on how much stuff there is out there for us teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings from Cheryl (ALISON Kenai) to Cheryl (ALISON Palmer). Another fun project together... and I always enjoy your insights.

    ReplyDelete